Monday, November 7, 2011

Success!!!

Last Christmas, my gift for people was scarves.  I started knitting away and asked my Sweetie if he would like one for when he went riding on his bike (the kind with the motor).  He got to pick out the pattern, with my help, and the yarn.  The pattern looked a bit challenging, which was perfectly fine, but as I was running late on gifts for friends and family, his project was put on the back burner.  Finally, one chilly February day, I began what has become the most difficult and involved knitting project I have yet attempted.

The scarf is a take off the OBEY Giant sticker campaign that we found on knitty.com.  It entailed two techniques that I had never really tried before and wanted to: intarsia and fair isle knitting.  I had to look up a few tutorials on the 'net and in some of my books to get a feel for what I was supposed to be doing and then I really just winged it from there.  Let me tell you, it was quite the project.  There were times where I wanted so much to just put it away for good, but I stuck through it.

I am happy to announce that as of Sunday morning, November 6, 2011, after nine months of knitting (and letting it rest) I have finished my Sweetie's Andre the Giant OBEY scarf.  Just in time for winter!

I am sure that to a more seasoned knitter, it is not perfect by any means, but to me, it is the coolest thing and  I am so proud of this masterpiece.  I learned a lot while knitting this scarf.  I am so glad I kept with it and finished it.  I can't wait to see him with this baby wrapped lovingly around his neck (for warmth).

1 comment: