Monday, September 26, 2011

Tastiness

So yesterday as I was cleaning out my freezer looking for some bagels, I found a turkey.  So I decided to cook it today.  It is killing me!  As I sit here writing, all I can smell is garlic and turkey goodness.  OH MY! There may not be enough left to give the boys after I carve into this things.  I am not real experienced in cooking turkeys.  In fact, this is my second ever.  It is so much easier than I thought it would be.

I made the mushroom meatballs that Tiff suggested the other day. It was so good!  I did end up cheating, though, I used pre-made meatballs that I had on hand.  They weren't nearly as good as homemade, but they worked on a busy weekday evening.  I will definitely make this dish again, but put more effort into it and make the meatballs myself.

Here is the recipe, for anyone out there needing to make dinner tonight.

Meatballs and Mushroom Gravy

Ingredients
  • 1 1/4 pounds lean ground beef
  • egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/3 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • tablespoon olive oil
  • small onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • cup sliced mushrooms
  • tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • ounce can beef broth
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Make It1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place a rack on a baking sheet and coat with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, mix ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, garlic salt, 1/2 teaspoon of the Italian seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper. Form into 40 meatballs, about 1 level tablespoon each. Place on prepared rack over baking sheet.
3. Bake meatballs at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms and cook 6 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally or until lightly browned. Sprinkle flour over the mixture, stir and cook 1 minute. Gradually stir in beef broth until the flour is completely incorporated into the liquid. Bring to a simmer. Stir in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and the nutmeg.
5. Add meatballs to the skillet and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with buttered egg noodles.  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment